Saturday, October 29, 2011

Being a METU student

I also published mine with link of: http://kurnazahmet.blogspot.com/2011/10/reflection-journal-1-being-metu-student.html and doing the same here as well.

As a first reflection, I want to write about my experiences at METU during the very early days. I'm becoming aware of some different and significant things such as not having to wear uniforms, not standing up when our professors arrive in the classrooms, and having classes without bells, having 6 lessons of absenteeism in most lessons, which all reflect the varieties from high school days.

I myself have been in Ankara, near METU, since the university registration date, 5th September 2011, so I have adapted to the life at METU much more easily than others, meaning that I did not have any problem of finding my way to The Faculty, my dormitory or somewhere else.  

Now that it has been almost 2 months since I came here, I'm feeling as if I have been in this city for decades. At first, I was a bit confused about the way that our "ring" buses works in our campus, yet now I have sorted out how they operate during the day and try to keep up with the times they arrive to the bus stops. That, of course, does not mean that we are problem-free people. The time intervals that ring buses arrive are not that frequent and especially at night we are getting into trouble whether to go to Çarşı places or not because of the half-hour interval ring services. This occasion causes us great uncertainty and instability when we wish to have some foods, wander around the campus, or other stuff. 

Being supported financially by METU is one of the reasons that I have preferred to be here. And also not being very willing to go to such a big metropolitan as Istanbul, I found Ankara to be more suitable for my likes and desires in return. I also have the possibility to be with my friends whom I value very much at times, and study altogether with them whenever needed. I love to be with my friends and keep in touch with them all the time. 

Lastly, I want to underline that I'm quite satisfied with being here, and the life at METU is something that cannot be expressed in words and should be experienced in person. Being a METU student cannot be measured materially and should be felt in heart. Much as I feel that METU cannot be something like that in some condition, but anyone with a low level of information about universities can get the idea that not everyone usual can make it to METU, so I can count my lucky!

2 comments:

  1. My dear friend, my panther "Ahmet" :)
    First of all, I am very happy to have a friend like you, you are so funny and so extrovert. So it is a huge pleasure for METU to have you :) And I should say that you are very good at football as a goalkeeper, that is why I am calling you "panther". :) You are also good at playing PES 12 but I don't want to give details about that. :) As a result, after 4 years, when we graduate, you will be one of the people who I always remember :) Last but not least, I think you will always be successfull during all your life. See you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a goalkeeper, let's call it panther as you do :), is something that I have been performing for years, almost since 2006. So, you know the goalkeeping is sometimes the most important person under the control the games, during the games. I could forget telling you that your grammatical usage of "last but not least" is very significant and I can see it in your journal as well. Is there a specialty for this expression?

    ReplyDelete