Sunday, October 30, 2011

WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD

Firstly, I want to explain that choosing METU wasn’t a easy decision for me.Because,I was thinking that being a translator would be more suitable for me.So, after LYS results, I decided to go to Hacettepe University Department of Translation and Interpreting. But, my family wanted me to go to METU. And I was confused. For giving my last decision, I asked my high school teacher. He said ‘Go to METU and live your life. After that I am here and I think I gave the right decision.

As being a new METU student, it wasn’t very hard me to adapt here. I came METU firstly for registration on 6th September.Unfortunately, without having much information, I left. But then, I came METU for English Proficiency Exam and I stayed for four days in 9.dormitory.In these days I saw that Metu was a small World..Because when I was in pc lab, there was a American on my left side and three Japan on my right side. Where can I see this scene except Metu? These four days came me as four months and when leaving METU, I had enough information about it and these four days helped me adapt to it.

On 19th September, I came back and METU was my home anymore. Fortunately, I had a right to register the best dormitory of METU, Isa Demiray. Before coming METU, thanks to Facebook, I became acquainted with some friends from my department and we chose same floor of the dormitory. Now, they are my neighbors and thanks to them, I could easily adapt METU and dormitory life.

But anyway, I have some problems in METU. For example ‘ring’ buses. Sometimes, they come late and I have to wait in cold. If it is so on autumn, I think, in winter we will freeze while waiting for rings. Except their coming late, one of my problems about rings is working of all of them for personnel between 16.30 and 18.30 in weekdays. What happens if a ring works for students? We are forcing to walk for 15 minutes to our dormitory in breezing cold of Ankara after eating our meals in cafeteria.

Another problem is queues. Whether it is a fate of METU student or not I don’t know, İf you are a METU student, you have to wait in queues everywhere including cafeteria, banks, buses, markets .This makes me angry. I hope, I will get used to this situation soon.

Lastly, being at METU feels like a special person, especially for me who come here from a small city, Safranbolu. Because here, everything is settled up students. I met new people here easily and I have never felt myself alone and every time I found something to do with these new people. So, I haven’t gone my hometown in this one and half hour period despite its being three hours away from Ankara. Being at METU is something everybody should experience. So, when I go to my hometown because of bairam, I will advice prospective university students to choose METU if they can be successful in their YGS and LYS exams.

KENAN ÖZMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment