Sunday, October 30, 2011

Being a part of amazing metu world

BEİNG A PART OF AMAZİNG METU WORLD=))

Being a student at Metu was not my dream at all. I wanted to come neither to Ankara nor to Metu. I didn’t even think to be at Metu, because I had not liked Ankara anytime during my preparations to university. It was all the time away from my dreams. I wanted to be a student of Boğaziçi University maybe like all students at our department, however when I came to Metu, I understood that it wasn’t such bad or unbearable to live in Ankara or Metu as I thought earlier. Moreover I can even say that it’s enjoyable so much.

Getting adjusted to Metu was so difficult at the beginning for me, because I have begun to live on my own and for the first time I have been so away from my family. The first day when I leaved my family is still in my mind, and now I’m a second year student at Metu. The thing which was difficult for me at the beginning is now so much great and pretty. Metu has made me love it. =) It has many good sides and opportunities for a student who lives there. First of all, transportation is very easy thanks to RİNGS. Even if our department is distant so much, we can reach to there quite easily. Apart from this, we have a bazaar, that is, ÇARŞI where we can shop, we can eat and we can enjoy the life thanks to the game saloons there. We also have a hospital we can go when we need. Meanwhile Metu also offers to its students social health insurance that is a very good advantage for students who don’t have it. This shows that Metu not only gives importance to its students’ education but also their health. Even knowing this is enough to be in love with Metu. Apart from all these, spring fest at Metu is so much funny and enjoyable. You feel freedom there, you feel being a university student, you feel the life!!=D I think all these can show so clearly how life at Metu is or how living at Metu is.

Yes, living at Metu is beautiful, but being educated there is a wonderful thing. With its high quality education, it offers to us the real education. Thanks to its very good academic stuff, we can have very different abilities, talents and skills. And apart from these, we can have very different point of views or aspects about life thanks to different thoughts, cultures or traditions we have faced at Metu. Being at the same place with students who come from very different cultures is a very beautiful opportunity. I think that being English of Metu’s education language is another opportunity for us.

Finally, being a student at Metu and living there has many advantages and it is not so bad as I thought earlier. Moreover, maybe if I were asked whether I want to stay at Metu as an academician or not, I would say ‘of course, yes’. I think Metu has been already an indispensable part of me and I can say very comfortably that I’m happy to be in this amazing Metu world=)


Burcu KARADUMAN

3 comments:

  1. Dear Burcu,
    I think you are fall in love with Middle East Technical University :D I read your writing and I really enjoyed when I read it. First of all, I experience all the things you write and I understand you. You said that education is really good. I think so. People can feel how they progress in their fields. It is such a great feeling  but you said that arrival is too easy with rings. You are wrong. In the middle of days, it is OK. But in the morning and in the evening it is like a torture. There is no rings  and you mentioned about health services. You are right it is very good. Not every university has this opportunity. We are lucky ! I like your writing. Good job. See you later.
    Your Brother Mualla :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend Burcu, I did not initially dream of being a Metu student while I was preparing for university entrance exam like you. However, l started to love Metu after I came to Metu. Morever, as you said, life conditions of Metu are very good. Health service, Çarşı and other services help us fulfill our various requirements. I had adaptation problem like you but thanks to Metu and my friends like you, I overcame this problem:) As far as I understand, you did not like Ankara before you came here but we don't have same ideas about this. I have always loved Ankara very much:D and you like rings of Metu but I do not usually like them because I think they are not enough for Metu:(. Yes, education quality of Metu is pretty high. I agree with you at this point. Although sometimes we have difficulties about courses, homeworks and quizes, all of them provide benefit for us. Burcu; finally I want to say, as you I would say "yes of course:)" for being academician in Metu. I hope, our dream (being an academician of Metu) comes true one day in future:) sevilay:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete