Sunday, October 30, 2011

Being a METU student

My dream university METU. I studied so much to come to you. I spent my days and nights to reach you. Now that I am here I can reflect my first impressions on you…
When I first entered the campus I thought that this was a nice place. The campus is covered with trees. Besides the natural beauty METU offers ring busses to the students. Although I don’t like the dogs walking around I like the nature surrounding us. Whenever I am bored I go for a walk.

Before coming to this university I had talked to two people who graduated from my department. They said that they liked the education and the teachers at this university. Now I can say the same things they said. I think the lessons are effective and informative. And I like the listening parts of lessons most.

In addition to good education , there are student clubs which appeal to every interest. We can join this clubs. Thus we can develop our abilities and enjoy ourselves.

As for the adaptation process I can say that I am not having difficult times while getting used to living here. This is because of two reasons. Firstly my family live in Konya and I go there nearly every weekend. If I said I miss them it would be unjust for my friends. Secondly I have an aunt in Ankara and sometimes I go to her home. I am content with my dormitory too. My roommates are fine. We have a kitchen here. I cook everything I want there. We have access to internet. I watch tv serials. It’s fun..

But sometimes I face challenges. As a quality of my personality I can’t socialize very easily. Nowadays it is getting better. I make new friends. Another challenge is that from time to time the lessons are not so interesting and they seem difficult too.

Despite some challenges I think being a METU student has its own credit. We learn many things that are not properly taught by other universities. Teachers are knowledgeable. In the lessons we learn a lot. After the graduation I hope I will be able to speak English fluently, learn a second language properly and go to the different parts of the world. And my biggest dream is to be a good academician. This university is a step for my goals and ambitions. I hope METU will help realize them…

Fatma Şeyma KOÇ

2 comments:

  1. Loved the introduction part ! :) Actually it is really true that METu offers great chances to realize our dreams. It makes us feel valuable and powerful enough to achieve great things, as we are. The important thing is to be in the right place, in the right time. I hope we have many good opportunities to realize ourselves. Additionally, dormitory life helps one know many people from different department, so this is very helpful in making new friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you,I regard myself as very lucky.As I have a chance to go home nearly every weekend.Adapting new place,new friends is absolutely hard for most people.But,this was temporary and disappeared, fortunately.Demiray dormitory is good.It has many advantages.Iwas afraid before coming here.as everyone said these dormitories too far away from everything,there were dog's assaults very often.But this isnt the case.Metu's offerings are also undeniable .THİS İS A NEW WORLD in many aspects like feeling the freedom,improving self confidence.I hope we'll leave there with many features,capabilites...:):)

    ReplyDelete